The Superintendent's Residence

The Superintendent's Residence, affectionately known as 'the red brick house', was the focal point of the Sutherland Forest Nursery Station which, from 1913 to 1965, occupied the site of the Saskatoon Forestry Farm Park & Zoo.

The Friends of the Forestry Farm House is a non-profit organization formed in 1996 to meet the challenge of saving and restoring the Superintendent's Residence.

Work commenced in the fall of 1998 and the restoration project was completed in 2003. Volunteers and contractors worked together and the quality of workmanship and the authenticity of the restoration are clearly evident. Now designated as a Municipal Heritage Building and recognized as a National Historic Site, the presence of the restored 'red brick house' will allow Saskatoon residents and visitors alike to enjoy a peek at the past that continues to shape the future.

The long-term goal of the Friends of the Forestry Farm House is to continue to raise the profile of this heritage property, while working to maintain the historical interpretation of the residence and grounds.

The house and the people who lived and worked here, the research and development of trees and shrubs on site, are just some of the information that is highlighted in the interpretive area of the house and the programs delivered by our volunteers. 

Over Three Million Trees in One Year!

The Sutherland Forest Nursery Station distributed millions of trees to prairie farmers who planted these trees on their land making up the miles of shelterbelts we see across the prairies today.

The influence and impact of this action on the settlement, landscape and prairie economy was immense.

Between 1916 and 1963, the Nursery Station distributed 147 million trees.

Between 1935 and 1964, approximately 2,500 km of field shelterbelts were planted on the prairies.